Monday, October 28, 2013

2013 Texas Book Festival Highlights




Back from the marvelous Texas Book Festival in Austin! Had a great time meeting so many authors I admire and making new friends. Here are my top 5 festival highlights:

1/ Attending the announcement of the 2014 Texas Bluebonnet Award list and cheering on friend and author Polly Holyoke, Author - whose book THE NEPTUNE PROJECT is on the list!

2/ Meeting readers of my book! There is something deeply satisfying about knowing words you've written in your quietest moments have resonated with a friend you've never met. I've always said that reading a book is an interactive experience between writer and reader so it's wonderful when that experience comes full circle for a brief moment.

3/ Meeting a special reviewer. (I hope you read this Alyson!)

4/ Meeting Lemony Snicket, which in turn, gave me a little cool cred with my kids. (Thank you for signing their book, Mr. Snicket!)

5/ Hearing my exhausted daughter say, "No offense, I just don't want to be with my family right now." (This was about the point where that "cool cred" wore off and I was just a mom who drags her kid around to large open spaces with tents and books. Nothing a blue raspberry Snow Cone and a hug couldn't temporarily fix.)


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the shout-out, Karen. It was great to meet you, too! A very special moment for me. =) (And I also enjoyed meeting Lemony Snicket at the Festival. Isn't he hilarious?) - Alyson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for coming to the announcement ceremony, even though it meant an even longer day for two tired young ladies. It meant so much to be to have you there, and I loved listening to your poised, articulate and funny contributions to your panel discussion!
    Hugs,
    Your fellow author in Plano

    ReplyDelete

It's all about friendly conversation. Please leave your comments and thoughts!